Thursday, May 29, 2014

Book Review: Small Circles by Megan Duke (#1)

I got a free copy in exchange for a review, preferably an honest one. My laptop kept crashing, which prevented me from posting this at six a.m, so I started typing on my Ipad. Needless to say, Safari wiped away my review when I went to switch a song. Why am I telling you this? Because it's my sheer love for this book that keeps me forward to continue writing this review. I mean, I could just type a paragraph on how I love this book, and everyone should read it, ect, but... It's more than that. I want people to read my honest opinion and as to why I love this book and why people should read it. Besides, I'm not one to break promises.

Small Circles is one of those books where you stay up 'till God-knows-when or wake up at the crack of dawn to finish, because you can't stand not knowing what happens next. For me, that's when I know that I love a book. First off, I'd like to thank Megan for sending me a copy, it's an honor.

The plot was fantastic, it drew me in on a roller-coaster full of laughs, emotions, and heartbreak. Nothing felt unimportant or out-of-place, everything fit perfectly. The book was well-paced, and it felt as if everything was actually happening in real life, to the point where I had to remind myself that it wasn't. I liked how there were so many trials they had to go through, because that's how life is. It throws curveball after curveball, hitting you in the face repeatedly, knocking you down.

The characters are phenomenal, I really came to care for all of them. They're three-dimensional, some days, they're having a good time, enjoying life, but their lives also happen to be messy and just catastrophic. They're not near to perfect, heck, Paxton even had a screw just a little unhinged. I loved how their relationships between each other grew. (view spoiler) These relationships didn't just happen all of a sudden, it took time.

The themes throughout the novel were just.... wow. My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations, right now. It's one of those things where you have to read the book to know where I'm coming from, I guess, because I just can't adequately describe it. I'd just like to say thank you, once again, to Megan, because she helped me realize that it really is okay to be happy.

All in all, Small Circles is a fantastic book, one you'll cherish for a lifetime.

DFTBA,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment