Friday, November 8, 2013

Book review: House of Hades by Rick Riordan

So this has been long over-due, I finished the book when it first came out, so about a month ago. I didn't write a review for it until now, because my laptop's been dead, and I couldn't find the charger. I really loved this book for many reasons, and I'm highly anticipating the last book of the series.

Rick wastes no time, diving right where we left off. Percy and Annabeth fell into Tarturus and left the other demigods to travel to the House of Hades. They're freaking out and aren't necessarily sure what to do next or what path to take, since there are monsters attacking, constantly, and this is when you realize that they really depended on Percy and Annabeth.

I really liked the Tarturus scenes. Not because of Percabeth or anything like that, but I just thought it was cool. The two of them are really impressive as characters, and as soon as the land, they waste no time to fabricate a plan. They're getting to the point and getting what they need to do done. You see, in some YA novels, let's say, after the characters just escaped a near death trap, they idly stand there and give each other that I'm-glad-you're-not-dead hug and all that gist. And here I am thinking, what the heck, you guys could be doing something more productive than standing there, get to it. But no, they're on the ball and working as a team. I think it's great, because most couples start fighting and blaming each other for stupid reasons. They're past the point of fighting, like how they used to in the PJO books, and I think that part of the reason is that they've been friends with each other for such a long time. But seriously, though, Tarturus was just awesome and a lot more different and darker than what we've read, and I loved that Rick brought back old characters, like Kelli and the empousa, and the fact that they were forced to experience the pain of how the monsters and their enemies were killed, like when Annabeth turned blind temporarily, like Phineas.

Another thing that I kept noticing was that Percy kept mentioning the whole bad guy/good guy thing. This is character development. Percy is starting to realize that just because they stopped Kronos and everything doesn't really mean that they're that good of people. Remember, after he made the gods let Calypso free, he didn't make sure that it actually happened. After Bob helped him, he just left him there to clean up in the Underworld.

"Even as he said it, Percy felt like a liar. He'd left Bob in the Underworld and hadn't given him a thought since. What made them friends? The fact that Percy needed him now? Percy always hated it when the gods used him for their errands. Now Percy was treating Bob the same way."
 
When they walked into that death trap with Akhyls, Percy started gagging her with her own poison.
 
"He didn't want to stop. He wanted to choke this goddess. He wanted to watch her drown in her own poison. He wanted to see just how much misery Misery could take."
 
Percy's bitter, he's bitter at a lot of things: towards the gods, monsters, Gaea, ect. He's tired, and he's done with having to deal with, well, everything. When he says "He wanted to see just how much misery Misery could take," he means he wants to see just how much pain and sorrow and misery that she can withstand, like he does, having to deal with seeing his friends die in the Titan War, the pressure of fulfilling the prophecy, and the gods using them for their own benefits and treating him like toys, he never really gets a break.

Now it's time to talk about the other characters. Again, they're operating with out the other two, but you really get to see them work as a team and see their awesome personalities and traits and what they can bring to the table.

The best character, though, would have to be Frank, hands down. No, I'm not talking about how he's not chubby, anymore, and how he's got the muscles and stuff. No, just no. Frank develops into a leader and a soldier, directing armies and leading them into battle, versus the chubby, cute, shy kid who didn't have that much confidence back in Camp Jupiter. And I just think he's developed nicely, in this book.

Okay, so can we talk about Nico freaking DiAngelo, please? I don't care that he's gay, I really don't. It's just that it was a little, hmm, how do I say this correctly, unexpected? So he did everything out of... love? I honestly thought he did it because of the whole Bianca thing, like he never really let go? Here's my problem with this, it didn't really seem real? Like, it didn't transition smoothly, we all know Nico's this really creepy kid who likes to be alone and prefers the dead over the living. Yeah, but since when was he ever angry? But I saw this picture on Instagram, and apparently it wasn't really planned and about how he thinks it's important that we shouldn't ignore a person's sexuality, and I totally agreed with him. Since it wasn't planned, I'll let it slide.

All in all, the book was amazing, and I'm just really glad that there's not yet another cliffhanger and that the characters are okay. Hopefully, my dad will let me preorder Blood of Olympus from Barnes and Nobles, since it's the last one in the series, and he knows how much this series means to me. Tell me what you thought of the book in the comments. I have homework to do, (bleh) so until next time.

-Lauren
 



No comments:

Post a Comment